'Have your supporters started their own training? Take a moment to thank your friends and family for all their support and make sure they have got their own race day plan sorted!'
The above comment was recently posted on Ironman New Zealand's Facebook, and it got me thinking. Yes the Ironman Journey is my journey, but I couldn't do it without family and friends. These people are the ones who are always asking how is your training/running/swimming/biking going? They are also the ones that have to listen to my answers - which vary from 'great, it is going well' all the way through to 'I'm tired, everything aches', 'I want to curl up under a blanket for a day' and one of the most well used words lately "I'm buggered"
So after reading that comment, it is time to stop thinking about myself and think of all my great supporters, family and friends. So many people offer their support in different ways so where does one start in thanking them - individually would be great but I am bound to leave someone out.
My biggest thank you has to go to my Mum & Dad, without them this journey would have been a wee bit harder. For my 50th, I was given the Entry Fee and a new Road Bike (well money towards them which they knew wasn't going to be spent on jewellery!) Plus they will be with me for the week leading up to Ironman in Taupo, and out all day watching. 'Mad' is a word I have heard them use about me a few times, but I know they are there for me all the way xoxo
![]() |
| Full water bottle label |
I want to thank Aquaplus Custom Branded Water (and my work place) for providing my hydration. Everyday I drink bottles and bottles of spring water at work. They also have had custom water bottles branded for my supporters on the day and for a few lucky ones who have already had a sneak preview. Once again I think the term 'bloody mad' has been directed at me from boss Phillip often and boss Trish gets to hear all the details of my training while we are labelling, along with Shelley. Thanks guys xoxo
![]() |
Another company I would like to thank is Abes Bagels for keeping a regular supply of bagels coming my way - a great start to the day especially before these long 6 hour rides. Abes has also sponsored our entry in the Tough Challenge and Day Night Mountain Bike Thriller.
Steff Kidd is another one who deserves a big mention - my neighbour and fellow Ironmaiden for 2014. Where would I be without her - possibly still pondering whether I could do an Ironman and drinking wine - together over a bottle or few of wine we set the date Ironman 2014. Steff and I share many daily texts about training, how we feel, and just being a sounding board for each other when we have highs and lows while training for an Ironman. (And we don't hold back on any feelings or language - very open). Plus it took Iroman for 2 neighbours of 4 years to finally meet. Big hugs to you Steff and your family xoxo
I could write a book on thank yous - but will try keep it short.... Wednesday Night MTB girls..
Jo Wilkie for running with me when ever she can
Janet Toni my gym buddy and regular taxi driver to MTB
Julie Fisher, Mandy Roper, Penny Sanders - all of these 5 get to listen to me talking about Ironman on our Wednesday night rides - and no one complains or tells me to 'shut up' (they are probably rolling their eyes though:)
plus the MTB boys who are usually waiting at the end of the tracks waiting for me to finally catch up.
Zippy Hugh Bootten - Coach - a big thanks for taking this oldie on - though not sure a thank you is what goes through my head on some of these sessions you give me!
Henk Greupink - Swim Coach - what a challenge I am to him, but think I am getting there slowly - thanks
RATS Members (Rotorua Association of Triathletes & Multisport) - I have met so many supportive people through the RATS and everyone is full of advice and willing to help whenever and where ever. Too many to name here:)
| Ironmaidens (few missing) |
The 2014 Ironmaidens who will become life long friends as we all travel this journey in the next few months (and the experienced IM who have also entered again - their experience is great to hear)
'If he can do, I can do' - Motivational Mad Max & Doris, Flavazum, Ironmaori 2 Ironman 2014 to name a few more.
Bruce Smith who always asks how the training is going - usually while he is out skiing on the lake and having fun as I am about to start a swim!
Christine Riddel a long time friend who I have watched Ironman with for years and nearly every year I have said 'I could do this' Well I have finally committed, and now she gets to listen to the usual IM highs and lows over a semi regular coffee catch up along with Linda Young and Clodagh Nicolson (and I want to mention Clodaghs 9y son Logan who I hope I am inspiring - he is going so well with his MTB, running, swimming, duathlon & triathlons - well done Logan I'm so proud of you)
Brendyn White & Daniel Frost - for your guys texts and messages through facebook with continuing and never ending nearly daily support (double thanks to Brendyn who also ends up cleaning and maintaining my MTB's) and Sherryn White the best support crew on Adventure Races. Thanks guys xoxo
I know there are lots more people out there who deserve a big thanks - so hugs and kisses to everyone I have not mentioned by name. I know there are a lot of Facebook friends I don't see often, who are following my journey.
And big thanks to my family - Zane who never knows where I am and has taken over most of the cooking (only way he will get dinner) and kids Steph who may have got my 'Mad' Gene as she is taking on Round Lake Taupo for the 3rd time in a few weeks and Chris (most times him and his mates turn up I am either in lycra or spa) Love you all xoxo
PS - A race plan for supporters will be coming your way later and will look something like this -
Watch swim, offer/yell support as I stagger out of water, watch me head out on the long long ride, time for supporters to eat, shower, shop before watching out for my return first lap of the bike (more support/yelling please) then you can go back to eat, sleep, shop before watching out for my bike finish (more support/yelling please) then you have 5-6 hours trying to watch out for me on the 3 lap run, (more cheering please)
Hugs to you all - I know I am probably a bit 'self centered and its all about me' - and I know you guys have lives to, and while I do think about you I often forget to ask how you are all going xoxo



No comments:
Post a Comment