30th New Zealand Ironman sold out 1 October 2014.
Below is a post I copied and pasted to my facebook page -
Dear Lee-Anne
Congratulations on becoming part of History!You are now entered for the 2014 IRONMAN New Zealand – the world’s original international IRONMAN. We are delighted to confirm your entry for the 30th anniversary event
Congratulations on becoming part of History!You are now entered for the 2014 IRONMAN New Zealand – the world’s original international IRONMAN. We are delighted to confirm your entry for the 30th anniversary event
Looking back on that day, there were a few of us nervous 'wanna be' Ironman Virgins, watching the minutes tick over to 12 noon when the entries opened. I remember texting a few and we were all nervous, didn't know what to do with ourselves and just basically clock watching. I was at work and at 11.55am I logged onto Ironman , waiting for entries to open - then Click I'd entered after inputing heaps of information. I remember there was no feeling of excitement at first, it was quiet eerie and then thinking - what have I done. Fast forward 6 1/2 months and it has sold out. Not sure what the rush was back then on the day - we had heaps of time, but I had set a date so I had to enter before I changed my mind.
October 11th
Training is really starting to step up, along with the season of events and socialising. I have had 4 invites for a 40th, 50th, 40/60th & a 30th in the space of 6 weeks. The first 40th was Jacky James, it was water and home at 10pm as we were heading to Tauranga the next morning for the City to Surf 12km Run (and throw daylight savings in on the same night). Thankfully Jacky has done Ironman and understood that a few of us had to leave early. The following week was my sis-in law Jo Grants 50th - um a few wines and junk food and no training the next day. The other 2 are coming up, but one clashes with another birthday and for the 30th I am heading to Wellington for an Adventure Race, so can't make the last 2. It is quiet guttering to get these invites and know that you can't really go, relax and party to the end as you have training the next day:( That's my Ironman life, and it will all be over in 5 months so I can't really complain to much.
Onto the events - I did the City to Surf 12k (11.33km really) and was blown away with my time of 1 hour 7 mins. Still hard to believe the time and had me buzzing for a few days. On the downside I hurt my butt/thigh muscle or something on the run and for the next week I could not run and hardly swim. I never thought I would be guttered to miss a run session if 1.40mins. Next event coming up is the Napier Half Marathon next weekend and my longest run has now been 1.15 mins - um not enough but that's how the cookie has rolled. Maybe a run/walk now. 2 Weeks after that is the 6 hour Adventure Race and then it starts - the Taupo Cycle Challenge, Ironmaori Half Ironman, Team for Rotorua Half Ironman then Christmas. In between these events training goes on.
Last week 3 x Mountain Road hill reps reappeared on my Training Peaks (only 2x last time), for 3 weeks. 2 down, 1 more week to go. The first week was a bit cruisy - if riding up Mountain Road can be cruisy, but this week Jill Clark came along for the ride. Jill kept on my tail, and I had 3 pretty good runs up, and cold rides down. Thanks Jill, because if you weren't there they would have been another week of cruisy hill reps. Along with the Hill reps, I still have the 3 swims, 2 gym sessions, 2 more bikes (MTB & a looooooooooooooong ride), a run and one more week of the RATS Run Clinic. Loooooong bike rides = 4 1/2-5 hours
Now to meet 2 inspirational people (humble they call themselves) Mad I call Max:)
P.S - They don't always dress like this and can usually be found in the pool, on the bike, Max running up Ngongotaha & Doris walking, and now in the Blue Lake. Doris has done Ironmaori 1/2 Ironman and Max is doing this year. They have just been in Rarotonga for the running festival, which these outfits have something to do with. (Won't give their ages away, but they are about 19 years older than me:) and full of life. xoxo
Most 'normal' people wait for summer to go for a swim in the lake, heck, most triathletes in Rotorua used to wait to the RATS Aquathons started Nov 4th, before jumping head first into the lake, but not these 2 people. 8 days ago (I'm talking October 3rd), the following appears on Facebook -
Kia ora whanau from Uncle Max; get ready to put the wetsuits on for a dip at Tikitapu next monday October 7th 5pm, especially Lee-Anne Willis & Shirley Day other wise he will throw you in.. Max will spread the word at swim training Sat 6am. Ross cant wait to get out there. I even have to get in too I thought i was his manager,& im not even doing the IronMaori 1/4 or 1/2 swim for lol.


No comments:
Post a Comment