Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Updates from my last post and whats on in the next 2 weeks

Updates from my last post -

Firstly the scales have tipped - when I started with a coach -  Zippy Hugh Bootten, I started a weekly countdown on my training plan and it was Week 1/48 to go.  I remember thinking one day it is going to starting tipping the other way and this week it did - now Week 25/24 to go..... I thought I would have a bit of a panic moment but so far so good maybe when it is Week 40/9 to go:)

YES routine has been restored and my training plan is looking good.  Feel much better knowing the same thing happens each day each week with variations to each discipline.  No more juggling everything around.

Sydney Long Weekend - Fabulous time for someone who wasn't keen on going the week before.  The weather was a fine & sunny 24dg and our apartment was 50m from the beach.  It was so motivational seeing the boardwalk full of people walking, running & cycling, Surf Life Saving Club, boxing and other groups all training in the mornings, and the people relaxing and swimming.  Plus there always seemed to be people in wetsuits doing some open water swimming.  We arrived Saturday morning and had a few hours sitting on the deck with a few beers and nibbles catching up with my cousin before heading out for a walk along the boardwalk to Shelly Beach, then it was out for Rach's 40th.  Sunday was a relaxing day, walking along the boardwalk and looking at the Corso shops, and a swim in the sea in the afternnon:)   Monday I did my planned 90 min run and loved it (for someone who usually doesn't like their running). Just seeing everyone around you exercising motivated you.  After my run we caught the ferry across to Sydney for a walk around the Opera House & finished at Darling Harbour for dinner.  I couldn't believe how many people were running around the Opera House, but guess when you work in the City you don't have a lot of options for running.  Sadly Tuesday morning we were back at the airport waiting for our flight home to a cold snap.  Now wish we had booked for longer as I could have kept my training up.  
Part of my 90 min running route

Jamis Day Night MTB 12 Hour - the weekend after Sydney I was in Taupo riding in a team for the 12 Hour - ABE'S Babes.  I retired from my laps around 5pm as I was planning to ride home from Taupo to Rotorua on the Sunday.  Plus Saturday morning had started with a 45 min run.  During the 12 hour I had a plan for eating and drinking and pretty much stuck with it - in previous years I have eaten heaps of lollies and random food along with a few wines at the finish. 

Sunday morning after a relaxed breakfast, I was back on my bike starting the ride home.  I had worked out it was 80k, so should have no problems, but the mind was playing games - usually I do bunch rides of 80k plus but this just seemed different.  The ride home covered 40k of the Ironman Course (we end up riding out and back to Reporoa twice) so the 40k was really 160k of the Ironman Course approx.  Broadlands Road did my head in, it was long boring straights with nothing to look at but road and the odd car, but at least on Ironman day there will be lots of bikers going both ways.  I was glad to get off that road, but once I hit the Main Road the wind had picked up.  I only had about 10ks on the main road before turning off at Rainbow Mountain to stop at a friends place for a water top up.  From there it was 8k of climbing before I started on the Te Ara O Ahi cycleway (part of the National Cycleway) and was pretty much downhill all the way back into Rotorua - which made the wind bearable.

The weekend before heading to Sydney I had my first 120km ride.  Once again Katrina offered to ride the remaining distance after the bunch ride with me to make it up to 120k.  Just backing up a bit, a few days before the ride I had aerobars fitted to my bike.... anyway the bunch ride started well as we set off anti clockwise around Lake Rotorua.  However as we came off the hills and were spread out, I went down onto the aerobars and into lala land and missed the Te Waeranga turnoff.  Apparently everyone called out and I never heard a thing in lala land.  2kms later the penny dropped that no one was around me, so I turned back thinking surely someone will come looking for me - no such luck, they thought I had bailed after a few discussions amongst themselves and with the bunch leader going back to the last person up the hill and beyond to see if they could see me, they ended up carrying on.  So here I was approx. 20km into the ride thinking I have another 100km to ride by myself.  And once again Katrina came to the rescue - after riding approx. 15-20ks by myself Katrina phoned to see where I was, and she came back to meet me.  Thanks Katrina your the best:)  From there we rode the rest of the ride together never catching the bunch.  As we rode along Fenton Street, I calculated we would be 3.5km short but by then I was ready to quit at the car.  Then as the car came  into sight it was 'No way am I stopping lets do the last 3.5k and watch it tick over to 120km'.  Ride completed and a hot choc at Lime Café before heading home - and then it was nearly time to start cooking tea:)

And how am I feeling now - tired.  Gone are the days when I can have a late night and bounce back the next day.  Training is enough to tire me out these days, then put in a quick trip to Sydney with the time difference and a few late nights and then the 12 Day Night MTB 4 days later and I'm wiped out.  Trying to get a few early nights in this week but seem to get a second wind after tea, and next minute it is 10pm.

So now it's time to catch up on some sleep and get back to regular training with no events for a few weeks.   Sunday 29 Sept is the City to Surf a 12k run from Tauranga Marina over the bridge and finishing off with a run around the Mount and then nothing to my last bit of fun - The Big Bang Adventure Race 6 hours on Nov 2nd.

The next 2 weeks training consist of a 90 min swim Monday, Tuesday 75 min run and a Bike Power Speed Set (find a slope and ride up it 5 times same cadence but a harder gear each time, note slope not hill) Wednesday a swim and easy Mountain Bike Ride, Thursday spin class, Friday recover and stretch, Saturday swim then a 3.30 hour ride with a 30 min run off bike and Sunday an hours run clinic focussing on sprints.  Bring it on! - Not the sprints as that is a dislike but bring on the next 2 weeks of training:)

No comments:

Post a Comment