Monday, 19 August 2013

Routine or Lack of it!

What I have found out lately is I train better with routine.  The first 18 weeks were same old, same old - same thing, same day - but slightly different ie. hills, strength, distance.  the thing was I swam on the same days, biked on the same days and ran on the same days - then Week 19 hit.
Staart of Tough Challenge in the Hail
RECOVERY WEEK -  the first 3 days I was probably not a nice person as I didn't know what to do with myself, by Thursday I had settled down and got used to it.  From then on, I seem to have had no real routine with the RATS Duathlon 3, and the Tough Challenge appearing on the calendar. On top of that I have a long weekend in Sydney and the following weekend the Jamis Day Night 12 hour MTB team event coming up.  This means the weeks have had taper days and recovery days, which is playing havoc with my routine:(
I'm trying to get back into a regular routine but keep swapping training around and the weather also isn't helping.  Plus have missed a few sessions.  I'm actually looking forward to the week after the Day Night when I can hopefully get back into a routine plus the days will be getting longer and the weather warmer.
 
ABE's Babes



ABE'S Babe (or not)








On another topic, bike distances are on the increase and have changed from minutes to kilometres.  2 weeks ago I had my first 100km ride.  I had let others know I had to ride 100km, so when the bunch ride finished I would continue on to make up the distance - there goes my Lime Café Hot Choc & muffin after bunch ride:( -  What a ride it turned out to be - the bunch ride was just over 50k, but not just any 50km, we ended up riding up Tarawera Road, and to the end of Spencer Road via The Landing on the way back.  Due to this being a hard ride, the bunch headed back after 50km, leaving me to continue on.  Lucky for me Max & Katrina had volunteered to come along for the ride, and another guy John joined us.  So a ride out to Tikitere to watch a bit of the 2nd Tough Guy event and to refuel, then we continued on around the lake.  And just to watch the bike computer tick over, we had to ride past the car for another 800m and back to as there was no way I was saying I had done 99.2kms.  What I haven't mentioned is on the first 50km I lost the plot, the legs didn't work but I managed to turn the pedals over very slowly to get it done, way behind everyone else. I even stopped on the last hill to make sure my brakes weren't jammed on as it certainly felt like it.  After refuelling and a 5 minute break at Tikitere, I seemed to come right and completed the 2nd 50km feeling much better than the 1st 50k.  It wasn't a lack of fuel that  drained my energy, but pretty sure the reason was usually on a Friday  I have a rest day, but this particular Friday I had a 90 min run.  I'm hoping this theory will be proved next weekend when I have a 120km ride.
Looking forward to family time in Sydney  and then the Day Night and then welcome back routine is the plan for the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment