Phew - I have come out the end of a full on 3 weeks of events still smiling and walking. I was a bit worried about how my body would hold up to the last 3 weeks, and I am happy to report I feel good and all 3 races were PB's (Personal Bests).
A big thanks has to go to my coach Zippy Hugh Bootten, who has planned my training around these events, with tapering, rest days and training all in the right place it seems.
Starting on Saturday 30 November, I completed the Taupo Cycle Challenge (160k around Lake Taupo). 7.39 hours riding time with a total time of 7.53 hours. The 14 mins stopping time was made up of refilling water bottles and loo stops, a chat and a photo shoot with friends. 2 years ago with little road biking and some Mountain Biking my time was 8.26 hours with lots of stops. Training really does help!!!!
Saturday 7 December, Napier at 6.15am and I was on the start line for Ironmaori Half Ironman. Swim Time 42.40 mins/Bike 3.29 hours/Run 2.31 hours. Total time 6.44 hours last year was 7.22 hours. And to top a great day, I was 2nd in my age group. Prize giving was brilliant with lots of laughs and the over 60's were acknowledged - all 120 of them for entering how great is that. The Ironmaori 2 Ironman Group was also acknowledge - and that is about 66 of us who are going from Ironmanori Half to the Ironman. Exciting times to come with a group camp in January and meeting some of them.
And finally Rotoru Half Ironman Saturday 14 December - this time a team effort of Ross Lee as the swimmer, me as the biker and Jo Wilkie the runner. Bike time 3.45 compared to 4.19 hours last year.
Now that they are ticket off the event calendar and the realisation that Ironman is only 11 weeks away - I am having a eeeeeeekkkkk moment. Taking into account that the last few weeks are probably tapering, this doesn't leave much time to train and up the distance to double the Half Ironman.
Running is my biggest concern - I'm not a runner and can't say I have found the love of running. Even now when I see a '45 min' run in my plan I think eeeeekkkkk and often leave it to the last mo to do in case a better option comes up.
So in theory the plan is to concentrate on running - Yea Rite! its Christmas in 10 days and we are heading far North DOC camping 27 Dec to 12 Jan for a holiday - another Yea Rite!!!. Have just seen my training plan for the next few weeks starting this coming weekend - a 5 hour hilly run Saturday with a 20k run Sunday. Christmas Day I have a 45 min walk:) but to deliver the kick a 150km ride on Boxing Day - umm packing for camping ummm where to fit that in. Yay the next day is a travelling day guess that's my rest day before Day 1 of the holiday a swim and a 3 hour hilly ride followed by Day 2 - 2 x 15k run with at least 4 hours rest inbetween. Some holiday it is going to be - completely different from my usual DOC camping holidays.
Will be interesting to see how I go.
Well bed time for me, as trying to keep this machine healthy and happy so I can continue to tick along in the next few weeks without injuries or meltdowns.
No comments:
Post a Comment