Sunday, 16 December 2012

Life after Ironmaori.....No rest for the Mad

Ironamori 1 December - that wasn't the end of it for me. I had a big party planned for the next Saturday - the big 5 0. Which means I move up an age group in events, and I personally think the older you get, the more insane you get. I mean people in their 70's doing Half Ironman and Ironmans - wow is that insane, mad and I'm toally in awe of them. They are amazing along with everybody else, no matter what your age who takes on these challenges and journeys. I can only hope that I will be going strong in another 20 years. It proves that you can do anything no matter what your age if you really want it.

Back to the 50th, what a night, but it did take a few days to recover.  Was a celebration of finishing a Half Ironman and turning 50th.  And just to say I did a Half Ironman a week before 50 and a week after 50, I had entered the Rotorua Half Ironman in a team, with me as the biker.
The course was a b---= of a course, full of hills, hills and more hills, but I was Ok with that.  What I hadn't factored in was getting a sore throat and headache a few days out from the start.  Guessing this body can't keep going and going with no rest:) 
Sat 15th, arrived and I felt like crap, but the weather was perfect.  Another 4.30am start - still hard to do - and we were on our way to the Blue Lake. 
6.30am and Kermit & Friends swimmer Ross was on his way.  He had a brilliant swim, and with the goal of a 35min swim, his time to transition was 35.01mins.  He had given me a good start on the bike, but as I biked along I was past by nearly every bike in the field. Besides a gel stop at the aid station, the other stop was for panadol from my training buddy Steff Kidd's husband Gregg - thanks so much.  I eventually made it to the finish and was very happy to pass the transponder to runner Jo who did 2.08.26mins.  (My bike time was 4.19.07hours) overall time 7.02.36
Kermit & Friends
 
So now the plan is rest and recovery from this head cold for the next week - sounds good, but have 2 MTB Xmas rides to do, and a  RATS Xmas Party which I think may include swim and run in fun teams..... Umm rest and recovery of sorts.
And the next challege is ....  ARC 12 Hour Adventure Race - the countdown is on - 9 weeks to go

No comments:

Post a Comment