Ironmaori in Napier, had a fantastic atmosphere, the place was buzzing, people in coloured caps were standing around in transition listening to the briefing, supporters were lined up along the waters edge waiting.
And then it began.... The Wero (Opening Ceremony)
Saturday - 1 December at 6.15am, I was standing in the bike transition, waiting for the pink caps to be called to make our way down to the start of the swim. The music was pumping, people were smiling and no one including me seemed to be to nervous. Before I knew it, I was standing in the water, and next minute we were off. 3 laps around the course getting out after each lap. I was a bit worried about this, will all the people, but once you got going you found your space, and wasn't mown over to much.
Out of the water, into transition and onto the bike, think my transition went on a bit to long, but was all good. Bike was an out and back course, with supporters along the way, and at the bottom of the last hill before finishing was a group singing and dancing, with drums and all. Just what we needed to kick butt up the hill and to the finish. My last 15km was hell, (maybe something to do with my lack of long rides), and on one hand couldn't wait to get off the bike, but then I also knew I had to run 21km.
Finally, I made it back to transition after watching my average speed needle take a nose dive on the last 15k, but I make it, and the transition from bike to run went smoothly. Was happy with how my legs felt on the run, it was only the last laps when my thighs starting complaining. I had thought 4 laps of Pandora Pond would be boring, but I am so glad it was 4 laps, - first I knew exactly where I was and how far to go, and second there were people around 75% of the course cheering you on. The support on the run was fantastic.
Crossing the finish line to be met by friends and supporters and all the texts waiting was awsome.
The body was happy to sit in the sun for the rest of the day, and besides some really tight thigh muscles I recovered pretty good.
Next challenge ...next blog
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment