Monday, 6 August 2012

Officially a Runner of Some Sort:)

Well I think I can now class myself as a runner of some sort.  Not a super fast runner, not a fast runner, but an average runner.  I entered the Taupo Half Marathon with my friends and running partners Julie, Jo & Rachelle.   And I admit I was rather nervous of running my first half marathon.  10 years ago I had walked this same Half, and my main worry was, what if my time is close to my walking time:(  Back then I had walked a few half marathons and was 10 years younger.
However, 9am,  Sunday 5 August 2012 I was on the start line, and the nerves weren't too bad.  The best part of the start is you head down a hill, so the first km or two doesn't seem to bad. (But whatever goes down must come up at the end).  My goal was to run 15km at least and hope adrenaline kicks in to get me to the end, but would be happy with 15kms of running. 
We had driven the road part of the course the night before - (checking out where every uphill, downhill, water stop and toilet stop was), and had taken a photo of the half way point just in case!  I had now broken the course into parts and goals.  First goals achieved - first uphill, turn off the main road, and go down an out and back road to the turn around and half way mark.  A time check at the half way mark, and I was pleasantly surprised - 1 hour 3 mins, and so the  mind starts turning numbers over, - can I do this under 2 hours 15 if I keep running? Think that was also the turning point for my mind - From then on I just counted the kms down and kept checking the time.  By the time I hit 16km, the run had slowed, but I kept going, thinking I only have to run less that 6km which is what we had done on the Thursday.  17km, 18km I was getting closer, 19k, the run had become just keep putting one foot in front of the other, while keeping an eye on the time.  I knew then I would make it just under 2.15 if I kept going. 20km and some friends from Rotorua when past yelling out the window, that gave me a lift as I wasn't expecting any supporters on the course, 1km and 1 hill to go, and another friend supporting someone else cheered me up the hill, then around the corner and into the finishing shoot.  Along the shoot, I saw and heard my swim coach, Steph, another friend from Rotorua, and neighbours of ours who were there all supporting other people, but they also cheered me in.  What  a feeling that was, having people cheer you in and knowing I had run 21.1km non stop:)
Time 2.12.04 hours
Split 1.03.16 hours
749/1300 Runners

No comments:

Post a Comment