Goals, training plans, ideas, excuses, come & go, they change along the way....
My main goal of Ironman 2014 is still there, but my new goal at present is to run 21km. I know I can get myself through a 2km swim, and keep the legs turning for 90km on the bike even if it is slow, but can I run 21km. The answer is NO! not at the moment, and that is my new goal leading up to the Half Ironman in December. I don't want to walk the 21km, I want to run it, no matter how slow I go.
So back to my goal, I downloaded the Taupo Half Marathon training plan, and thought this looks achievable, and decided to start it to coincide with their dates leading up to the race.
That left me with little choice, May 15th, I had to get out there and do a 2km run and again 2 days later, then 3km in the weekend, not to hard, even the following week of 2 x 3km runs and a 5km run I survived. Now I'm up to 3 x 5km this weeks and 8km in the weekend and I'm ready to start looking for excuses on why I can't go for a run - to cold, to wet, to tired or just to lazy!
Do I really have any excuses? NO! My neighbour or more importantly partner in crime and 2014 Ironman competitor Steff Kidd has offered to give me a bag of cement to harden up and get on with it, but it hasn't reached that stage yet. 8km this weekend! Cement may have to be on standby!
Ironjack Jacky James, what a blessing she was last Saturday. On a cold frosty morning I was using the excuse 'it's to cold, lets wait a while', which would have stretched to later and later, and then fate - it appeared in front of me - Ironjacks post on facebook -'Another 5.5km run, awesomeness!' And my response to that -'Well done, I'm sitting here finding excuses why I can't go and do a 6.5km run, but you have just provided the reason why I should go and do. Thanks:)' and with that I got off my butt, put on running gear, and ran for 6.5km and it wasn't to bad. Thanks Jackie, that was perfect timing:)
Along with the bag of cement and facebook comment, I have another ally - text messages! Brendyn, who regularly texts to see what training I have done, and then is full of encouragement, even after I have moaned about how hard running is. And then there is Julie who I can always rely on to run with me if she is not working and not forgetting Janet, who always ask after my running and how I'm going - so have all the bases covered, cement, facebook, text, available running partner when available & good old fashioned talking - you guys are awsome, and have kept me on track over the last few weeks. So how can I let you guys down and keep coming up with excuses?
Without friends and family, I'd have no support, and without support I'd be still pondering over 'Can I, Can't I, Will I, Won't I, Shall I' do Ironman
What would I do without friends") xoxox to you all
No comments:
Post a Comment