Time to get a bit more serious - well thats the plan anyway!
On the day of the Adventure Race, I entered (well a friend entered for me) along with 2,000 other people in 8 mins the Ironmaori - a Half Ironman in Napier on 1 December 2012.
What does that mean for me, a 2km swim, 90km bike ride and a 21km run - and thats where the problem lies... running. Mind over mattter I think, as I have convinced myself I am not a runner, yet somehow I can manage to plod along for 60 mins if required - a rare occurance I might add.
So after a week in Nelson and competing in the National Single Speeds for fun or maybe it was the dress ups and beer shortcuts, the time has come to get a bit more serious with my training and try to follow a training plan starting in about 6 weeks or so.
I'm ready - starting tomorrow it is back to the gym, and hopefully a couple of short runs a week, getting ready for D Day - when the training plan kicks in. Swimming is on hold, as the outside pool is closed for maintenance for approx 6 weeks so there is no excuse not to concentrate on running, besides the cooler weather, darker nights, and the mind over matter thing.
Can I do it? - Watch this space!!!!
Just a brief update of the last few weeks for my own records - At the last moment, I ended up in a team for the Xterra, swimming 1km in pretty much perfect conditions, and did manage a 60 min run in Nelson, so haven't quiet been sitting on my butt!
No comments:
Post a Comment