Monday, 10 March 2014

Race Wrap Up - The Bike -180km

After nailing the swim, I started the bike in a very happy space.   A day earlier I had heard how to break the ride into 4 pieces of an apple pie.  Interesting, as this is what I did, even though I am not an apple pie person. 
The first 12kms or so was a gradual climb up to the race track and then a long downhill heading towards Broadlands and along the flats to the turn around.  It was great to see signs of support along the course, giving me something to read as  I biked.  Along the flats, I came across some of my support crew - first Brendyn & Sherryn, Steph & Matt & Zane with the video camera.  So neat to see them on the bike course and then a few kilometres along I came across some of the work crew, which brought a smile to my face, especially with AJ on the roof of the truck. 


 
 
A bit further along was more lime green nailed to a bridge post with Go Lee-Anne - work crew had done a good job along with a lime green lei hanging on a power pole which I seem to have missed both times.  No long after I was a the turn around and the first part of that apple pie was eaten:) 
The ride back into Taupo I seemed to struggle with a bit and I had heaps of bikes pass me - now I know this was the time when the head wind was probably at its worst - and wasn't that bad.  Riding down Spa Road and back into town and past every cheering was so much fun so following the road back around for another loop didn't seem so bad.   Another piece of the pie eaten! The second loop had a little dog leg in on a private forestry road which was big chip rough and a long gradual uphill, before a downhill and back onto Broadlands Road.  As I was riding along the flats, I was thinking about my friend  Steff, and to tell her I really miss the bright yellow smiley top she usually rides in.  Then I looked up and there she was in front of me.   I couldn't believe it and not sure what I yelled out but I did yell something.  It was so neat to see her.  If drafting was allowed I would have loved to ride beside her and have a big chat about the day.  Sadly this wasn't allowed.   Continued out to the turn around and was tempted to stop for a photo with AJ, but I just kept riding.  Another piece of pie, and I was onto the last piece - the ride back in seemed a lot easier that the last time - yet the ave speed was slightly slower, but before I knew it, I was heading down Spa Road for the final time and into transition. 
I had nailed the bike, rode at my happy pace and felt great.  Every aid stop I had picked up either a bottle of water or a bottle of replace, and had had a few loo stops.  At the special needs station, I had a honey sandwich and made another bottle of Perp up, which was my main food on the bike.  This Ironman was going well and I was loving the day.  Thoughts of coming back were dancing in my mind at the stage, after saying 99.999999% I would never do another Ironman.
I dismounted at the line and headed into transition, where a wonderful volunteer took my bike and from another wonderful volunteer I was handed my run bag.  The next thing I am being ushered into the tent by  Knisha Ruland (another wonderful volunteer) and friend who sorted me out for the run.  Once again I was an Ironmaori Princess, and had a complete change.
And onto the run I went feeling great........

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment